Director of People Operations (Exempt Position)
Vitamin Angels (VA) is a 501(c)3 non-profit, global public health organization working towards ending malnutrition worldwide by distributing life-changing vitamins and minerals to at-risk mothers and children under five throughout the U.S., and around the world. Vitamin Angels is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We are a dedicated group of individuals who aim to foster a supportive environment where everyone can contribute, thrive, and grow.
Position: Director of People Operations (Exempt Position)
Employer: Vitamin Angels Alliance, Inc.
Division: Corporate Services
Location: Flexible. This person can work remotely from anywhere in the us or work from our corporate headquarters in goleta, ca or our office in chicago, il, or any combination thereof.
Date: March 2023
Role or Purpose of Position
The Director of People Operations is a leader and champion for a diverse and equitable team environment, one where our team feels inspired, supported, and included. They will have responsibility for managing the People Operations function in the company, acting as the top people strategist within organization and will be expected to provide creative and insightful solutions to critical PO issues and advise other members of the executive team accordingly. Reporting to the CFO and an important member of the Strategic Leadership Team, the Director of People Operations acts as the architect for the company’s talent strategy and corporate-culture initiatives. They also are responsible for systematically monitoring, reviewing, and upgrading systems, policies, risk management controls, and procedures to maintain the highest standards of operational excellence within their division.
This role functions as an effective partner building trust across divisions and facilitating a healthy, safe, and productive work environment for employees, maximizing full individual and organizational potential. This role will lead in areas such as recruiting, employee benefits, DEI/Culture, organizational initiatives, performance management, talent development, compliance, and people communications.
The Director of People Operations will foster innovation in a changing and evolving workplace and position Vitamin Angels as an employer of choice with a people-centric focus. The People Operations (PO) unit recruits, develops, and retains a high performing and diverse workforce while advancing our core behaviors and values:
• Collaboration and Inclusivity;
• Integrity, Kindness, and Respect;
• Solution/Action Oriented;
• Accountability and Growth Mindset.
Vitamin Angels has 60 employees across 17 states and 2 employees in Canada. Vitamin Angels is also expanding internationally and establishing a legal presence in select countries. As employees are hired within these affiliated entities, the Director of People Operations will be responsible for overseeing and working with the appropriate local payroll and HR experts to ensure compliance with local laws and regulations, and supporting our international and US based teams in fostering a culture of belonging and inclusion.
This position is a great opportunity to be a leader in the company and participate in making a difference in the work we do around the world.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- • Provide integrated and innovative leadership within the People Operations Division. Act as both a strategic partner and one able to tackle individual employee relations matters.
- • Be an empathetic leader who can create and inspire confidence and trust.
- • Work with the Strategic Leadership Team and CFO to execute long-term and strategic annual operating priorities for People Operations and VA.
- • In conjunction with the accounting division, ensure equitable, transparent, and competitive compensation and benefits programs.
- • Work with the People Operations Generalist to manage and carry out a full range of PO daily processes and functions.
- • Coach, motivate, and mentor direct reports: People Operations Generalist and Associate Director, DEI and Engagement
- • Continue to develop and improve inclusive and effective processes and best practices across all People Operations responsibilities and to support a growing international team, including oversight of digital systems such as HRIS, ATS, and benefits administration.
- • Working with Professional Employment Organizations and other professional advisors to oversee all compliance activities as we expand our global employment footprint.
- • In partnership with our Associate Director, DEI and Engagement continuously drive our DEI Action Plan key initiatives. Implement increased opportunities for an equitable workforce.
- • Work with the CFO to review and implement compensation strategy ensuring fair and equitable compensation. Engage with compensation specialists to obtain current market data for current and open positions as needed.
- • Provide employee relations support and coaching to people managers and staff when employee concerns arise. Partner with legal counsel as needed to resolve employee issues consistently and efficiently.
- • Oversight of annual performance management process.
- • Responsible for continuously improving and updating all general policies, practices, and procedures at VA staying up on current trends and legal updates.
- • Participate on internal committees and working groups, such as the DEI and Culture committees on special projects.
- • Other duties and responsibilities as required.
Level of Decision-Making
Within the bounds of VA’s mission, values and policies, and sound professional practices, the Director of People Operations has the broad discretion to use independent judgement to manage their activities in whatever way will best serve VA clients, partners, employees, and mission. Specific authorities associated with this position and their implementation procedures will be determined in partnership with the CFO.
VA operates under a collaborative, matrix management model. The Chief Financial Officer or their designee supervises the Director of People Operations with respect to overall assignments and performance. The Director of People Operations interacts daily with many members of the VA team. They establish their own daily work priorities and ensure that activities continue to be consistent with the established schedule and budget.
|Supervises:||People Operations Generalist Associate Director, DEI, and Engagement|
|Primary working relationships:||People Operations Generalist Associate Director, DEI, and Engagement CFO Strategic Leadership Team Accounting StaffVA Staff|
|Travel required||Not typically, less than 5%|
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (Required and Desired)
- • B.A./B.Sc. degree in People Operations or related field from an accredited university or equivalent experience
- • Minimum 5-7 years’ experience in People Operations leadership role
- • Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite, Office 365
- • Experience using HRIS (such as applicant tracking systems, performance management tools, benefit platform software, etc).
- • Experience in executing People Operation’s functions with a multi-state and global workforce
- • Self-starter and entrepreneurial; ability to deal in ambiguity and find innovative solutions.
- • Superior empathetic people skills
- • Alignment of personal values with Vitamin Angels values
- • Ability to respond quickly to changing business needs
- • Experience managing direct reports and effective at collaborating with a remote workforce
- • Superior written and verbal communications skills
- • Excellent initiative and attention to detail, able to manage multiple initiatives.
- • Ability to think critically and objectively while demonstrating a high degree of discretion
- • Ability to manage stress, including but not limited to sensitive employee issues, stress resulting from daily activities.
- • Ability to remain seated for extended periods of time, including but not limited to general job assignments performed at a desk.
Preferred (not required)
- • Master’s degree in People Operations/Human Resources or a related field from an accredited university
- • Experience in working with and vetting Professional Employer Organizations (PEO) and setting up other global workforce entities
Comprehensive benefit package includes:
- • Medical, dental and vision insurance (100% covered for employees, 50% for dependents medical coverage)
- • Life Insurance
- • EAP
- • 401(k) Safe Harbor contribution after 1 year
- • Generous paid time off
- • Paid holidays
- • Paid winter recharge break
- • Flexible work arrangements
- • Wellness program
- • Leave for pregnancy disability and/or parental leave, and more!
Applications will be accepted until April 15, 2023, or until a qualified applicant is identified.